Sunday, November 7, 2010

Harrison's Birdie Bread

Harrison's Birdie Bread

It's been a long time since I've made a post. Here's what I've been up to today.
This is my recipe for Harrison's Birdie Bread made with Harrison's pellets. It's cheaper than the Harrison's bird bread mix. The corn is fresh and my birds prefer it.

This recipe can be doubled.

1 1/2C finely ground Harrison's Adult Lifetime pellets (grind to consistency of flour -grind before measuring)
2tsp baking powder
1/2 C gray millet (I used organic hulled millet)
1/3 ear organic corn - cut off cob.
1T Organic Virgin Palm Oil (or Harrison's Sunshine Factor)
2 eggs - no shell (I use duck eggs when my ducks are laying)
1C water

Optional additions for variation:
1/8C chopped organic veggies
1/8C hulled organic hemp seed.
1T crushed organic red pepper
3T organic flax seed

Makes 2 dozen mini muffins.

Directions:
Oil 2 mini muffin tins and preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix dry ingredients plus corn or extras.
Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl starting with eggs, then add oil, then add water.
Combine wet and dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed.

Using a small spoon, fill each muffin cup to the top using the last of the batter to even out the cups that are not as full.

Bake 20-25 minutes.
Cool 5 min and then flip muffins on their sides to finish cooling.
Place cooled muffins on a cookie sheet and freeze over night. Place frozen muffins in zip-lock bags and keep in freezer for individual use.

Serving.
I like to chop up the muffins and then once it is in a food dish, sprinkle on a few hemp seeds. With parrotlets, muffins tend to get dropped to the bottom of the cage so that is why I chop them up.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Instead of ground pellets, could I use Harrison’s High Potency Fine or Mash?